| Top 10 Early Signs Of Pregnancy
It is possible to buy a pregnancy test that can test for pregnancy several days before your period is due. First Response is one such popular test which can detect pregnancy hormones up to 3 days before your period is due. Another is Clearblue Digital which even has a conception indicator that will not only tell you if you are pregnant 4 days before your period is due, but also how far gone you are. If it is still too soon to test for pregnancy, there are other tell-tale signs to look out for:
1. Nausea: Do you feel sick or nauseous? Morning sickness can appear within one week of conception (when sperm met egg), although it is usually more common from week 6 onwards. While it is called 'morning', for most women it feels like a bad case of acid reflux which can last all day.
2. Smell Sensitivity: Have any foods or smells caused you to feel suddenly nauseous? The nausea might have passed quickly, but it could have puzzled you because the item in question might be one of your favorite foods, or something that has never bothered you before. Common items that can cause this reaction are fried foods, coffee and meat. Some women, keen to have early results, even try testing themselves by sniffing raw chicken to see if they get a reaction.
3. Taste Sensitivity: Do you have a weird metallic taste in your mouth? This can occur in pregnant women as early as 2 weeks after conception.
4. Cramping and Spotting: Have you had any cramping or light bleeding, even though your period is not due for another few days or weeks? The cramp might feel like PMS cramps. The bleed might only consist of a few light spots of blood which look like a brown discharge or is lighter and pinker than period blood. If so, this could be implantation bleeding, which occurs 6 to 12 days after the sperm fertilizes the egg.
5. Sore Breasts and Nipples: Are your breasts or nipples more tender than usual for your time of the month? This is a more difficult one to judge because some months your breasts might be sorer than other months due to PMS, it may have nothing to do with pregnancy at all.
6. Sudden Extreme Tiredness: Are you suddenly much more tired than normal, with no obvious cause? This is one of the most obvious signs of pregnancy and can even slow a woman down from day one of conception. Pregnancy causes a lot of immediate changes in the body, hormone production cranks into overtime and the metabolism eats up energy.
7. Bloating: Are you more bloated than normal for the time of the month? That said, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a premenstrual bloat and a pregnancy bloat.
8. Hot Flashes: Have you had sudden unexplained hot flashes where you feel an intense heat which starts at the chest and works its way up the face? If so, your basal body temperature has increased and it is a sign of pregnancy.
9. Dizziness: Feeling faint or dizzy? Dizzy spells can occur within the first week of conception as blood vessels dilate to carry more blood around the body. Read about the causes of dizziness while pregnant.
10. Headaches: Have you had persistent headaches for the past few days? This is only really a sign if you normally do not suffer headaches before your period.
• Need more info on pregnancy signs? See: Pregnancy Symptoms / Pregnancy Questions
• Got another question? See: Womens Health Questions
What Are The Signs Of A Miscarriage?
Questions about the Morning After Pill
What is emergency contraception?
What is the difference between the emergency contraception pill and the normal pill?
Using Daily Birth Control Pills As Emergency Contraceptives
Can I use ordinary birth control pills for emergency contraception?
How effective is emergency contraception?
Questions on Daily Birth Control Pill
Will I gain weight on the contraceptive pill?
How long does it take to get pregnant after stopping the pill?
Can you get pregnant while taking the pill?
If You Are Planning A Baby
When is it safe to get pregnant after stopping the Pill?
Back To Homepage: Womens Health Advice